Mastering the Art of Waxless Surfing: A Comprehensive Guide to Traction Pad Techniques
Surfing is constantly evolving, and so are the ways we maintain our boards for optimal performance. Waxless surfing is the future, providing an eco-friendly and mess-free alternative to traditional wax. In this comprehensive guide, we'll explore traction pad techniques that help you master the art of waxless surfing, ensuring the best grip and control on your board.
Step 1: Choosing the Right Traction Pad
Selecting the appropriate traction pad for your surfboard is crucial for achieving the perfect balance of grip and control. Consider factors such as size, shape, thickness, and material. Check our blog post about How to Choose the Perfect Surf Tail Pad for Your Board
Step 2: Preparing Your Surfboard
Before applying a traction pad, ensure your surfboard is clean and free from any wax residue. Use a wax comb or scraper to remove old wax, followed by a wax remover or rubbing alcohol to eliminate any remaining residue.
At RSPro we always recommend avoiding industrial cleaners as they may contain silicones that are not good friends with adhesive pads.
Wipe the surface with a clean cloth and let it dry completely.
Step 3: Applying the Traction Pad
- Lay out your traction pad pieces on the board to determine the ideal placement, aligning them with the stringer and tail as reference points. If your board doesn’t have a stringer draw one with a pencil as a central line for reference will help a lot with the pad alignment.
- Peel the backing off the center piece of the traction pad and carefully align it with the stringer or central line.
- Press down firmly, starting from the center and moving outward to eliminate any air bubbles. Make sure to apply pressure all over the piece and especially on the edges.
- Repeat the process for the remaining pieces, ensuring they're properly aligned and spaced.
Step 4: Maintaining Your Traction Pad
To keep your traction pad in top condition, follow these maintenance tips:
- Rinse your surfboard with fresh water after each session to remove salt, sand, and debris.
- Avoid exposing your board to excessive heat or direct sunlight for extended periods. It’s especially critical to avoid leaving your board in the car under the sun for too long. And it’s super critical to avoid leaving it inside a boardbag in the car under the sun as the mix of heat and humidity can wreak havoc.
- Inspect your traction pad regularly for wear and tear, and replace it when necessary.
The Eco-Friendly Benefits of Traction Pads
Traditional surf wax is made from petroleum-based ingredients, which can have negative impacts on the environment. Moreover, surf wax can shed off your board and end up in the ocean, where it poses a threat to marine life.
Traction pads, on the other hand, provide a more sustainable, long-lasting and eco-friendly alternative. Traction pads, such as RSPro's Hexatraction and Cork Traction, are made from durable, high-quality materials that last for a long time, reducing the need for frequent replacements.
By choosing traction pads over wax, you'll minimize waste and your ecological footprint, contributing to a cleaner, healthier ocean for everyone to enjoy.
Embracing the world of waxless surfing not only enhances your surfing experience but also contributes to a more sustainable and eco-friendly approach. By mastering the art of applying and maintaining traction pads, you'll gain the confidence and control needed for high-performance surfing without the mess and hassle of traditional wax. Upgrade to waxless surfing with RSPro's innovative traction pads and join the movement toward a cleaner, greener future